Tuesday, January 20, 2009

So, I'm back.


Well, I'm back at Marist.  There's about a foot of snow on the ground.  This is a picture from outside of my window.  (Dad is always telling me I need to add pictures.)  I'm slowly falling back into the swing of things, but everything still feels foreign. Everything looked different, when I moved back into my dorm, the halls and rooms looked bigger and whiter.  Who knows maybe they repainted or maybe it's just because I haven't been here in a month.
Classes began today.  I woke up at 6:50, got out of bed at 6:51.  It wasn't too bad.  After I brushed my teeth I was pretty much awake.  I always love that feeling of waking up early, dawn just breaking on the horizon, the still silence, the feeling that you are waking up before the whole world.  I feel more productive waking up early.  For one, I associate waking up at the crack of dawn with competing in feises, jet setting off on some important trip, or taking a big important test, so at that early hour I always feel special like I'm getting up to do something really important.  Secondly, I have the whole day ahead of me.  The day seems so much longer, because I am awake hours before I normally would be, which could be a double-edged sword for me. It could make this semester less stressful and a lot more productive, but it could also make the days seem a lot slower, and the semester a lot longer. 
My first class of the semester was a core requirement for my communications major: The art of public speaking.  Going into this class I was as nervous as if I was a little school girl (I know ironic because I am, but this isn't my first semester anymore.)  My roommate had the same class last semester.  The professor was always such a bitch to her (excuse my language).  So needless to say I was a little scared, I don't deal well with mean comments.  After meeting him I can say that he seems nice, but at the same time is probably an asshole.  I don't think he means to be, but he is just one of those guys who probably does not have any children, so his criticisms come off a bit crass.  But I do believe that he means for us to do well, and will work with us to help us achieve the grade we deserve.  Luckily for me the class is small.  I would say around twelve all together.  After he went over the syllabus, he had us pair up, and get to know our partner, then give a one minute speech on our classmate.  I did it without stuttering.  I can now check off my first time speaking in class. Task complete.  Now I just have to give four or five more speeches.  But since the class is small I'm hoping we'll all get to know each other soon, feel comfortable around one another.  I got out of class around nine.  Walked outside, was greeted by a big phallic symbol drawn in the snow, walked back to my dorm, ran into Chanel and went to grab a little breakfast.  Came back, watched the inauguration, went to lunch, studied a little for my History final that I have tomorrow, and read a little of I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell.  But now it is nearing that magical witching hour...5.  I have to run to class, I will continue this blog when I get back.  Trust me I have much more deeper things to write about when I return.  
  

No comments:

Followers